My friend Ellen, of Inspired Living, recently shared this Beet-Apple smoothie recipe with me. It’s a delicious winter health drink that’s good in the morning for a light breakfast and to help get the digestive system moving along.
The mix of spices in this smoothie is warming and stimulates digestion. Beets are full of pigments that act as antioxidants, as well as fiber, vitamins B & C, potassium and magnesium. If you’re using organic beets, you can wash the beet and keep the peel on for extra fiber. Apples also contain good soluble fiber in the form of pectin. Much of an apple’s fiber and vitamins are found in the peel, so try to find organic apples and leave the peel on.
I usually double the recipe below to make enough for 2 days and put the extra in the fridge.
Ingredients for Beet-Apple Smoothie:
- 1 Red beet, thinly sliced
- 1 Apple
- 1 Tbsp raisins or other dried fruit chopped up (I like figs)
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- Pinch of fennel
- Pinch of fenugreek
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 1.5 cups water
How to make it:
- Boil the water in a medium saucepan and add the sliced beets.
- Add the raisins or other dried fruit, cinnamon, ginger, fennel, fenugreek & salt.
- Chop up the apple and add it to the pot.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until the apple and beet are soft.
- Remove cover and allow to cool enough that you can put it in the blender and puree. You can also use an immersion blender (stick blender) to puree it right in the saucepan.
Drink it warm and enjoy!